Saturday 14 June 2008

Combating with Self-Discipline




Have you experienced combating with self-discipline? I have, many times and I say it is not an easy task at all!

There are times that I succumbed to my flesh and do what it wants but there are times that I successfully denied myself of its desires to do what it wants, and that took lots of courage and working myself out to the point of literal exhaustion (emotionally, physically and spiritually).

Learning different languages is not easy task and it requires lots of self-discipline, especially when you are doing a self-study of it. I have to force and discipline myself to do a language study at least an hour everyday for the past few years. But there are times that my flesh just don't want to spend that hour in studying instead spending that hour infront of computer blogging! I have to literally drag myself out infront of my pc and make myself get my language books and workbooks and painstakingly make myself focus on language study.

For those of you that is studying languages, I am sure you can relate with me on this. And its not just studying languages that needs self-discipline. It's just one of many things that I need to do and make myself discipline to do so everyday.

Everyday we combat the need to stay disciplined and keep our focus to the things that are priorities versus important. First things first though, we have to know which are priorities and which are important, as those two are not the same. Learning and knowing the difference will help us a lot in tackling the issues that are infront of us everyday.

I am sure each one of us has different issues that we need to combat with self-discipline everyday. In my experience, self-discipline will not be instilled in our lives if we don't take hold of our daily activities and control our desires to be laxed in self-discipline. Knowing priorities from important will help us a lot in tackling everyday issues. We have a choice to make a better and focused life if we have self-discipline, but to do so, we have to combat self-discipline daily and purposely.

Having a discipline life makes life easier to deal with, as we are focus and we know the difference of priorities from important. This save us lots of confusion, headaches, stress, etc. Saying "NO" is an important factor in combating self-discipline. Learning to say "NO" can simplify our lives.


Question:

Have you learned to differentiate your priorities from important issues in your life?


Action:

Take sometime today and get a pen and a sheet of paper and list down the issues or concerns that you have. Make two columns and write down on each column which you think or feel are your priorities and which are important.

Then make sure to stick with your list and discipline yourself to work on them accordingly.

No comments: